By now, you may have already heard about the owner of Megaupload, Kim Dotcom being arrested for allowing a website to host illegal files for downloading. The fat man whose real name is Kim Schmitz is reported to be worth some $200 Million illegally amassed dollars! Megaupload has allegedly cost the entertainment industry over $500 million in damages from pirated content being uploaded and shared through the site.\
His Insider Trading Fiasco:
According to Wikipedia, in 2001, Dotcom purchased $375,000 worth of shares of the nearly bankrupt company LetsBuyIt.com and subsequently announced his intention to invest €50 million in the company. Unknown to others, Dotcom did not have the funds available to invest, although the announcement caused the share value of LetsBuyIt.com to jump by nearly 300%. Dotcom quickly sold the shares and profited $1.5 million as a result
Here are some interesting tidbits about the lavish lifestyle of Kim Dotcom
– Kim is both a New Zealand and Hong Kong citizen. He was granted New Zealand residency in 2010.
-All that and yet he is really from Germany.
– On 21 March 2005, Schmitz founded Megaupload.com, Megaupload.com has 180 million registered users.
– Megaupload is registered as a private company in Hong Kong, with an office in Wanchai district.
– He has one of the largest and most expensive house in New Zealand, worth around NZ$30 million.
– Kim Schmitz had a controversial past as a cyber-raider, he hacked into NASA – Pentagon computer networks the and in some major bank systems to get credit card data.
– He was convicted of computer hacking in 1998, After that he established a computer security consulting and venture capital investment firm Kimvestor and made millions.
– In 2002, he was already convicted in the largest insider-trading case in German history.
– He was only 28-year-old when he was sentenced to 20 months probation by the Muncih court and a 100,000-euro fine.
– He once said that he’s smarter than Bill Gates.
– A YouTube video shows him racing a Mercedes in the Gumball 3000 road rally and talking about bribing a Moroccan official.
On his arrest:
– He is facing a potential fifty five year prison sentence for operating Megaupload.com.
– Megaupload.com & Kim has been accused of costing the entertainment industry over $500 million from pirated content.
– He is convicted on charges of racketeering, copyright infringement, and money laundering.
– He made $42 million from Megaupload in 2010 alone and $41 million in 2011.
– Police seized luxury cars worth $4.8 million, including a 1959 pink Cadillac and a Rolls Royce Phantom, in a raid on Kim’s New Zealand mansion.
– Cars seized with vanity plates such KIMCOM, HACKER, STONED, GUILTY, MAFIA, GOD and POLICE.
-Because of his arrest, he falls down to rank 2 of Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, playing under the alias Megaracer.
more pictures of his lavish lifestyle at dailymail