Blame it on Netflix for that streaming video. Blame it on HD video downloads for bottle-necking bandwidth worldide.
The implementation of a Fair Use Policy is proliferating to be a global industry practice of telecommunications providers all over the world. Telcos in countries like United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and HongKong have adopted their respective FUPs in order to give subscribers equal opportunities to access their services while protecting the quality of their resources.
In a recent internal analysis, Globe Telecoms said about 5 percent of abusive subscribers use 80 percent of the available broadband Internet bandwidth in the company’s network. This leaves only 20 percent of the capacity to be shared by 95 percent of the remaining users. Last 2010, Globe implemented a policy that promotes a more responsible way of using the Internet that will ensure fair and optimum usage of its broadband services across all subscribers. The usage cap, it said, would affect only users who download data in excess of 1 gigabyte a day, or the equivalent of about 250 MP3 songs.
Smart Telecoms has some sort of FUP limit of 1.5GB.
Currently, Fair usage policy or metered internet usage in the Philippines is not mandated by The National Telecommunications Commission, which means companies are not yet required to comply in charging pay per use.
Last year, the NTC proposed some sort of metered internet usage, and public out-roar prompted NTC to hold an open forum at their headquarters last January 11 2011. NTC held off any law requiring metered internet use, saying that by putting a limit on broadband internet will only restrict the growth of industries that heavily rely on it.
Personally, I have no qualms of pay per use of the internet, so as to stem abusive users who just download porn and other media they won’t even use anyway. Just as long as the charges to the consumer is “fair” as well, and not lopsided in favor of the telecom companies. So what amount am I willing to consider “Fair”. Probably something less than 50 pesos per Gig.
How much bandwidth does an average user really consume?
With an 800MB capacity, you can do the following activities using the Internet:
· Send/receive 22,400 plain text emails
· Send/receive 2,720 emails with document attachments
· View 2,720 web pages
· Download 200 songs
· Upload/download 1,600 social media posts
· View 272 minutes of streaming video
· Download 1 90-minute movie
Currently, Skybroadband offers 15GB usage for only 1,000 pesos per month. That’s equal to 42 episodes of TV shows of 350mb in size worth of downloads per month, or 20 movies 700 mb in size. If you don’t download those movies, well you can consume your allocation by surfing about 51,000 regular web pages per month, or 1,700 pages daily. This does not include data transferred to your computer using software running in the background like Yahoo Messenger, Facebook updating itself live, and antivirus database updating itself frequently.
Skybroadband has an unevenly unrealistically skewed online computation method for calculating how much bandwidth you the user actually use per month. Their tally does not include downloading videos, chat, live yahoo messengers and other online applications like Facebook turned on 24/7.